Like us on Facebook!

Company Blog

LUMISTAR INFRARED IMAGING NEWS

By Lumistar's Chief Scientist

January 15, 2013

‘Stealth Wear’ Clothing Created To Dodge Aerial Drones

Thermal Hoodie

A New York-based artist aware of the current controversy over military-style surveillance aerial drones used on U.S. civilians has fought back with a unique invention: thermal cloaking hoodies made from metalized material used to counter the infrared cameras that spy drones use to spot people on the ground.

The  artist, Adam Harvey, 31, also offers accessories with his ‘fashionably paranoid’ line of clothing: a surveillance busting cell-phone carry pouch, as well as a shirt that blocks X-rays over the heart just in case the Feds want to take-you-out so to speak.  While drone technology is controversial in the United States, it remains a truth that thermal imaging infrared camera(s) are the main sensing tool on-board the drones.  Currently, based on a landmark Freedom of Information lawsuit by the Electronic Frontier Foundation last year, they forced federal authorities to reveal there are at least 63 active drone sites in 20 U.S. states.

Harvey originally created his clothing line as conceptual art, but with great interest from the public items are now currently on sale. These clothing pieces won’t be cheap though, due to the expensive metallic materials involved a hoodie cost aprox. $1000, while a burqa (only covers the upper body) is closer to $3000. Harvey states ‘Military technology is coming home from the war.’  This rings true due to the fact that Lumistar has been converting military high-tech technology for industrial use for years.  Fortunately, even if a person covered themselves from head-to-toe with this high-tech material our smart cameras used for security and surveillance would still detect intruder movement due to sensitivity in contrast.  Rest assured the bad guys can’t use drone-busting technology such as this to their advantage from ground (terrestrial) based camera sensors. On the other hand, in terms of aerial drones, as their cameras are spread out far range, this hoodie could potentially be effective in that scenario. Happy drone dodging.

More:  http://bit.ly/14eng12

10 Comments

1. Coming to an ‘Arab Spring’ near you.

Comment by Suzzie — January 18, 2013 @ 10:53

3. If Obama had a son… he’d be wearing a hoodie.

Comment by Boston T. Party — January 19, 2013 @ 06:53

5. How’s this for going to the beach? I mean in terms of sun protection, then I *might* consider. Multi-use clothing is the new black.

Comment by Bridget — January 20, 2013 @ 16:25

7. These are all the rage in Paris. On second thought, didn’t they outlaw the head scarf? I guess the head-hoodie isn’t too far behind.

Comment by Denna M. — January 22, 2013 @ 09:06

9. I need a stealth life.

Trackback by Boston T. — May 12, 2013 @ 09:54

10.

11. Excellent! I must subscribe the RSS.

Comment by CCTV Dallas — September 19, 2013 @ 04:07

12.

13. I will immediately grasp your rss feed as I can
    not in finding your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service.
    Do you have any? Please allow me know so that I may subscribe.

Thanks.

Comment by Rob S, — September 30, 2013 @ 18:15

14.

15. Juѕt wish to sаy your аrtiсle is аs astounding.

The clеarness in youг post іs ѕimply cοol
    аnd іcan assume yοu’re an еxρeгt on thіs ѕubjeсt.
    Fіne with youг permission аlloω me
    tо grab your feed tо keep upԁаted with forthcoming poѕt.
    Тhanks a mіllion аnd plеaѕe
    κeep up the reωarding ωοгk.

Hеrе іs mу blоg pοst …
    e cigarette get rid of smokers breath

Comment by e cigarette get rid of smokers breath — October 12, 2013 @ 18:39

16.

17. I need to to thank you for this great read!! I definitely loved every bit of it.

I’ve got you book marked to check out new stuff you post…

Comment by Graco P. — October 14, 2013 @ 11:25

18.

19. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. 😀

Comment by Candi r. — December 5, 2013 @ 11:36

20.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.